It can be very annoying and frustrating when you look at your face in the mirror to see that the makeup you thoroughly applied to your face earlier has now smeared, meshed or disappeared altogether. Who wouldn’t appreciate makeup you can apply in the morning that will last throughout the day without having to check the mirror every second or minute to ensure your makeup is not scattered?
It can be stressful performing midday touch ups when your makeup sweats up or vanishes. Anyway, I have a solution to this frustration because we will be learning hacks and tricks that will let your makeup last longer.
1. Start with a clean face: It better you start with a clean face if you really want your makeup to last longer. You can do this by using a gentle cleanser formulated for your skin to remove excess oil and dirt. We are all aware that oil and water don’t mix to good and the oils on your face are not exempted from this. An oily face will let your makeup wash off faster.
Use a gentle exfoliator like twice a week to create a smooth surface and remove dead skin cells. After cleansing and patting your face dry, apply an oil-free moisturizer and let it penetrate for about 3 minutes before you apply other products.
2. Use Primers: You know how beautiful manicures look when base coats are used. This applies to your makeup as well. Primers help to fill in pores and clear imperfections. Primers help in proper penetration of your moisturizer which gives a smooth surface and makes makeup to look more even. It also lets your makeup stay longer by preventing it from being absorbed.
3. Go For The Right Products: Go for an oil-free foundation which is long lasting so that it doesn’t slide off your face. I advise you start with very thin layers when applying face products and then the coverage can be built up from there.
Your face can be too caked up and your makeup can melt away if your layers are thick which goes for lipstick application as well. Use an eyeliner, mascara or eye shadow which is water-proof to avoid smudging all through the day. When applying light layer of foundation, use contoured blending sponge, then add concealer to cover blemishes, eye circles and dark spots.
4. Set Your Makeup: After applying your makeup perfectly, lock it in with a translucent powder which will smoothen your makeup look and remove excess oil. You can use a makeup setting spray to help your make up last. You can spray it on your face before and after your makeup is complete to put everything in place and also help the makeup look more natural. A pigmented loose or packed powder can be used for a little more coverage.
5. Prepare for makeup emergencies: You need to prepare for emergencies in case your makeup melts up or looks messed. You can have a makeup bag full of the essentials you will need. Products like a pressed powder, makeup brush and makeup stick which can serve as a blush or lipstick.
6. Avoid Touching your face too often: You need to stop touching your face if you do so often because the oil in your hands will be transferred to your skin which will let your makeup slide. The germs in your hand can also cause future break-outs.
7. Use a Stay-put Eye shadow and liner: I recommend you use a long lasting eye-shadow to prevent eye-shadow wrinkling and if you use a cream eye-shadow, make sure it dries before you use and eyeliner. Choose a waterproof gel or liquid formula for an eyeliner and if you want a pencil or a softer look, choose waterproof and set it with an eyeshadow or powder that has the same colour with it.
8. Use Lashes that last: Choose waterproof mascara formula so that it doesn’t run, smear or flake when you cry, sweat, rub or scratch you eyes. Water-proof mascaras are easy to wash off and they make your lashes look outstanding and beautiful.
9. Exfoliate Your Lips: When you exfoliate your lips, the lipstick will go smooth, preventing flaking or cracking. You can use a lip exfoliator or make your own by mixing sugar and coconut oil or making baking soda and water paste. Use a soft tooth-brush, wet wash cloth or your finger. Apply the exfoliate and scrub the lips gently in a circular motion. After this, rinse with warm water and use a moisturizing lip balm